We have included some valuable information to give to parents of participating students.
To find information on expectations of chaperones, please visit the Teachers tab or click the link below.
Driftwood Education Center is located on St. Simons Island, one of the Georgia Barrier Islands, surrounded by miles of salt marsh and acres of maritime forest. The program we offer is intended to be a valuable extension of classroom studies. We have incorporated math, science, language arts, and social studies (based on Georgia Performance Standards for 2012) into our curriculum, and developed these topics into activity-oriented classes. Your child will have an opportunity to learn about: marine biology, salt marsh ecology, reptiles, low country cultures, and other science related areas. We also provide a chance for social growth through learning to live and work closely with others in a community setting. If you have any questions before your son or daughter arrives please call the education director at 912-638-3849.
Downloadable Packing List:
Here are some important items you should bring to Driftwood:
- 2 pairs of long pants (at least one pair non-jean)
- 2 pairs of quick drying shorts (nylon or mesh)
- 1 sweater or sweatshirt (seasonal)
- 1 lightweight long sleeved shirt
- 4 T-shirts
- 4 changes of underwear
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 sets of closed toed, lace up shoes (No Crocs please)
- 1 set of rain gear
- 1 baseball hat
- 1 swimming suit
- 1 sleeping bag or set of twin sized bed linens
- 1 pillow
- 2 towels (no towels provided in the cabins)
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc.)
- Hand soap (no hand soap in cabins)
- Water bottle – a must! Any bottle that has a lid that can be closed will work
- Insect repellant
- Day pack or back pack
- Plastic bag for muddy clothes
- $12 for short sleeve t-shirt and/or $15 for baseball hat
Note: Remember old clothes are best since most of our activities are outside. Please make sure that your child has sturdy, comfortable shoes. Lace-up, close-toed shoes are required for most activities. Flip-flops are not recommended and should only be worn in showers.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND: cell phones, candy, gum or food, knives, radios or electronic games, or anything else that would not be allowed in their school. Also, please avoid sending unnecessary items since your child is responsible for carrying all of their belongings from the bus to the cabins. It is not necessary to purchase a suitcase, any bag will do.
FINAL PARENT INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE
Student Mail can be sent to: Driftwood Education Center P.O. Box 20712, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522